Wednesday, July 13, 2011

An Untold Story

Anniversaries are powerful things.  Whether we wish to celebrate, observe, or ignore, we are deeply attuned to the lure of significant dates in all our lives.  Sometimes these dots on the calendar are very public events; on other occasions, they are more private matters.  No matter the circumstances, the human urge to document, to record, and in some senses to calibrate the rhythm of our internal seasons never ceases.  I am often surprised by what will trigger a memory for me--a slash of light on the mountains, a humid afternoon, a late evening phone call from another city.

What I am sensing in my writing life this summer is the peace that words can bring, the order that different combinations of the alphabet can provide to what would otherwise be an incomprehensible experience.

Recently, I came upon this line from Zora Neale Hurston: "There is no agony like bearing an untold story inside of you." I am beginning to understand what I think she means.

No comments:

Post a Comment